Crime is a negative evil prevalent in all parts of the world. Wikipedia defines Crime as an unlawful act punishable by a state or other authority. Crime ranges from small to big acts which many of us are unaware of, such as tormenting.
The Need for Technology in the Criminal Justice Field
Living in the digitalized era, we are all aware of how technology is prevalent in every aspect of our lives. We all grew up watching movies and TV shows demonstrating crime being solved with fancy technological gadgets and we were amazed by the multiple opportunities presented by such technological innovations. The reality was though far from real until a few years ago when law enforcement agencies started implementing new measures to make use of technology in solving crimes. Accordingly, we should teach our aspiring students as well how technology can be used to solve crimes and build their cases. Without adequate knowledge of technological innovations, students studying to work in the criminal justice field or law enforcement agencies will have issues adapting to the new tech-based environment and may not be able to perform up to the mark.
Technologies every person studying for the Criminal Justice field should know
We have listed below a few technologies which every student should have an understanding of to excel in the criminal justice field later on:
- Drones; Drones or unmanned aerial vehicles (UAV) are simply machines that are remotely controlled by a person on the ground. Drones can be powered with webcams to monitor from spaces far away and observe spaces without having to move from time to time.
- Big Data; Big data is a term that describes the large volume of data – both structured and unstructured – that inundates a business on a day-to-day basis. But it’s not the amount of data that’s important. It’s what organizations do with the data that matters. With large amounts of data stored and made accessible to law enforcement personnel and organizations dealing with criminal justice, many processes and tasks can be automated and performed on a much more rapid scale. All kinds of information for example; finding a suspect’s previous and current history or listing down a potential suspect’s contact and communication history can also be done quickly and with efficacy. Students can take classes and learn more about how Big Data can be further integrated for benefits and enhanced justice systems.
- Global Positioning System (GPS); the technology of Global Positioning System has greatly helped people with finding their routes. Accordingly, police officers can reach destinations much more quickly with proper guidance and organizations working in criminal justice systems can track many movements of people with GPS. GPS can be incorporated into all kinds of gadgets and systems to access information as per the locality and locations services can seamlessly remain in reporting. Majority of students nowadays are aware of the GPS technology but they can be further taught the benefits and importance of GPS in practical workings of the criminal justice field as well.
- Surveillance cameras; Surveillance cameras can capture the events in a particular area and provide law enforcement with valuable insight. The images captured by such surveillance cameras can later be used for law findings as well and for conducting in-depth researches as well while solving a crime.
- In-Car Computers; Often at times, law enforcement personnel such as police officers are lacking in the adequate and updated information which can critically come in handy on crime scenes. Having all the information in their patrol cars only would allow them to make better decisions and act accordingly. The use of paperless report writing can help improve data collection accuracy and save money for police forces. Police forces can spend more time on a field without having to return back to the office for manually recording all data when they can enter all the collected data in their car only and make it available on a cloud-based server. Students should definitely have knowledge of making use of and of connecting In-Car Computers to other systems in the criminal justice field thereby enhancing efficiency and communication.
Joe Pirest is an ardent individual writing blogs and articles for Thesis Writing Help website providing thesis writing help in Pakistan and aspires to be an environmental engineer and eventually work towards environmental sustainability.